In their own words
We asked our dedicated board members and staff four questions to introduce them to you:
- Why are you involved with the Aron Theatre Co-op?
- What you love about the Aron Theatre Co-op?
- What is your background and experience, including professional, volunteer, and with the Aron Theatre Co-op?
- What are three of your favourite movies?
Dorlene Lin, Board Member
- I wanted to get involved in something that aligned with my experience and passion, while allowing me to contribute in some way to the community.
- I love that it is a co-op. I love that it is an historic part of downtown Campbellford and has retained its original charm.
- I am an award-winning content creator, with over 25 years of experience writing and producing film and TV content. My work has been broadcast in over 130 countries. I have been a board member of DOC (Documentary Organization of Canada), and a volunteer dog-walker for Toronto Animal Services. In addition to the Aron, I currently serve on the Trent Hills Library Board.
- Tampopo, Almost Famous, Dirty Dancing.
Mary McTaggart, Board Member
- I became involved with the Aron because I have always felt that when you volunteer, you get back twofold what you put in. It's a wonderful place to invest some of my creative energies and there are just so many opportunities for the Aron to shine, we've only begun to scratch the surface.
- The Aron Theatre is part of the lifeblood of Campbellford. I love the fact that everyone rallied to save it when it was in danger of closing, which shows the strength of a town united. Campbellford needs the Aron as much as the Aron needs Campbellford.
- Before coming to the Aron Theatre, I have held several volunteer positions with community based groups; St. John Ambulance Brigade as a first aider and training officer (27 years); Scouts Canada as a leader for over 20 years; Campbellford BIA for 2 years; going into classrooms with the Junior Achiever program for 3 years; ran the children's area with the Edibles Festival for 2 years; and within the Aron I have been on the Finance Committee, began the Aron Talks monthly series, and have been on the board for three years. I am a Financial Advisor with TD Canada Trust in Campbellford.
- My three favorite movies (very hard to pick only three!): Rent, The Abyss, and Arsenic and Old Lace.
Martha Murphy, Secretary-Treasurer
- In 2009, in an effort to try and save our local theatre and to keep the doors of a downtown business open, I helped organize a community meeting and a feasibility study. The idea of creating a not-for-profit co-op was intriguing, and I was “all in” to help to make this happen. In 2018, I was asked to join the Board, and I didn't really have to think about it, as I was already a big fan and very supportive of the co-op.
- The Aron Theatre is an icon and well-loved community hub that has been part of the downtown landscape since 1947. I believe in the Co-operative Principles and Values upon which our not-for-profit co-op was founded.
- I am the Executive Director of the Campbellford/Seymour Community Foundation. My previous work provided me with the skills and expertise in providing leadership, motivation and collaboration, the tools used to foster innovative community investments.
- The Wizard of Oz, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Thomas Crown Affair.
Dipak Patel, Board Member
Answers to follow
Wesley Szudy, Vice President
- I've been a huge fan of movies my whole life.
- The sense of community when I come to the theatre. That feeling of being with like- minded people. I especially enjoy the special events like tiff, comedy shows and music events.
- I've been involved in television production for 42+ years. 32+ years as a television director of live sports and music events. Also 30+ years working with Special Olympics.
- The Godfather, Fargo, Amadeus.