In their own words
We asked our dedicated board members and staff four questions to introduce them to you:
- Why are you involved with the Aron Theatre Co-op?
- What you love about the Aron Theatre Co-op?
- What is your background and experience, including professional, volunteer, and with the Aron Theatre Co-op?
- What are three of your favourite movies?
Mary McTaggart, President
- I became involved with the Aron because I have always felt that when you volunteer, you get back twofold what you put in. It's a wonderful place to invest some of my creative energies and there are just so many opportunities for the Aron to shine, we've only begun to scratch the surface.
- The Aron Theatre is part of the lifeblood of Campbellford. I love the fact that everyone rallied to save it when it was in danger of closing, which shows the strength of a town united. Campbellford needs the Aron as much as the Aron needs Campbellford.
- Before coming to the Aron Theatre, I have held several volunteer positions with community based groups; St. John Ambulance Brigade as a first aider and training officer (27 years); Scouts Canada as a leader for over 20 years; Campbellford BIA for 2 years; going into classrooms with the Junior Achiever program for 3 years; ran the children's area with the Edibles Festival for 2 years; and within the Aron I have been on the Finance Committee, began the Aron Talks monthly series, and have been on the board for three years. I am a Financial Advisor with TD Canada Trust in Campbellford.
- My three favorite movies (very hard to pick only three!): Rent, The Abyss, and Arsenic and Old Lace.
Joel Parkes, Vice President
- I'm involved in the Aron Theatre because I want to support what I consider to be a vital part of a community, namely a place where you can go and experience movies outside your home in a community setting.To me it's a form of media that enriches people in such a profound way.
- I love that it even exists at all. I love that the guidance of the Co-op can be made up of members of the community.
- I have a diverse background. I've been on the Board Of Directors of the Peterborough Chamber Of Commerce, worked in the film and TV business, been a songwriter for Universal Music Publishing and, most important of all, I'm a husband and father to two daughters.
- My three favourite films, films that I always check into all throughout my life, are: The Godfather, The Unforgiven, Interstellar.
Martha Murphy, Secretary-Treasurer
- In 2009, in an effort to try and save our local theatre and to keep the doors of a downtown business open, I helped organize a community meeting and a feasibility study. The idea of creating a not-for-profit co-op was intriguing, and I was “all in” to help to make this happen. In 2018, I was asked to join the Board, and I didn't really have to think about it, as I was already a big fan and very supportive of the co-op.
- The Aron Theatre is an icon and well-loved community hub that has been part of the downtown landscape since 1947. I believe in the Co-operative Principles and Values upon which our not-for-profit co-op was founded.
- I am the Executive Director of the Campbellford/Seymour Community Foundation. My previous work provided me with the skills and expertise in providing leadership, motivation and collaboration, the tools used to foster innovative community investments.
- The Wizard of Oz, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Thomas Crown Affair.
Jim Harris, Board Member
- It is a great opportunity to do something positive in the community and learn while you are doing it.
- The people...everyone that I have met has been a positive, outgoing, fun person. They are great to be around.
- My background has been in Municipal Government. It had little bearing on what I do at The Aron...that is why I am learning so much.
- Rio Bravo with John Wayne; The Great Escape with Steve McQueen; and Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart.
Dorlene Lin, Board Member
- I wanted to get involved in something that aligned with my experience and passion, while allowing me to contribute in some way to the community.
- I love that it is a co-op. I love that it is an historic part of downtown Campbellford and has retained its original charm.
- I am an award-winning content creator, with over 25 years of experience writing and producing film and TV content. My work has been broadcast in over 130 countries. I have been a board member of DOC (Documentary Organization of Canada), and a volunteer dog-walker for Toronto Animal Services. In addition to the Aron, I currently serve on the Trent Hills Library Board.
- Tampopo, Almost Famous, Dirty Dancing.
Tracey Reid-Bowles, Board Member
- Because I feel a part of this community; and wanted to help in any way I can.
- It's sense of community.
- I have extensive experience in the entertainment industry, particularly live music.
- West Side Story, The English Patient and Roma.